A relaxed and pleasant little place Greyton was founded by Herbert Vigne who, in 1846, bought the farm Weltevreden. He laid out a town in 1854, which he named after the then Governor of the Cape, Sir George Grey.

It became a municipality in 1910,and today is a popular weekend and hideaway resort. It lies in the afternoon shadow of some of the finest peaks of the Riviersonderend range.



Into one of the mountain ridges, the Wa en Osse ( Wagon and oxen), a particularly beautiful gorge known as Noupoort ( narrow pass) finds a way close to the summit of the 1 465 m high Kanonberg. This provides a fine walk, while a walk through the Boesmanskloof is also spectacular, with a vast variety of flowering plants to be seen.

The Boesmanskloof trail covers a distance of 15.8 km. It links the Villages of Greyton and McGregor, which are situated respectively to the south and the north of the Riviersonderend range.
At one time the trail was the only direct link between the two villages, and the story goes that rugby teams from the two little towns had to cross the mountain at weekends in order to engage in a friendly match.